Genesis 16.1-16_The God That Searches
*Sermon starts at the 19:00 minute mark
Community Group Questions:
- What from the text or sermon was new, helped or confused you?
- In Scripture we see a pattern of faith that is Hear | Trust | Obey and a pattern of sin that is See | Desire | Take (see Genesis 3:6, 2 Samual 11:2-4; Genesis 16:2-3). What are the implications when we trust God vs. when we don’t? What areas do you have a tendency to “take matters into your own hands”?
- In verses 4-6 we see Hagar (pride); Sara (blame) and Abraham (avoidance) all in sin and dealing with it’s effects. In what ways do we see sin have both immediate and long term consequences?
- While the characters were content to live with implications of sin, God is not and intervenes. What do we learn about God in his response to Hagar (7-16) and her response to Him? How does this point us to Jesus?
- What is a takeway about God you can take from this passage?